The LNWR 380 Class “Beames Tank” is the final design of LNWR eight-coupled goods engines, which appeared in the first few months of the LMS period. Whereas Bowen Cooke’s 0-8-2T had been designed purely for shunting, the 0-8-4Ts were intended for haulage of heavy goods trains & passenger services, which is why greater coal capacity was provided, they spent most of their lives in the steeply graded South Wales Area. They were essentially a tank engine version of the “G2” or more commonly known “Super Ds” with a higher boiler pressure, 185lb. instead of 175lb. Although they were designed under the LNWR regime, they were not built until the LMS ownership in 1923. The first fifteen locomotives were given LNWR numbers and painted in LNWR blackberry but with LMS on the tank sides because the LMS numbering scheme had not finished but were eventually all given LMS numbers after the later batch were complete. They were given a power classification of 5F. They could also be seen on passenger traffic between Abergavenny & Merthyr but also could be seen in Tredegar, Blaenavon High Level & Manchester-Buxton passenger services. Although very capable machines, they did have issues such as straightening track curves & splitting their tanks causing water to leak but remained a principle mixed traffic locomotive until withdrawls began in 1944. Only fourteen lasted into British Railways ownership in 1948 but only two surviving long enough to receive their BR numbers & only one long enough to carry “Early Crest” with the other in LMS livery still. The last withdrawl came in 1951.